Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Freedom!!!




It is finally behind me. On Monday, I had my qualifying exam for advancement to Candidacy for my PhD. By God's grace and His gift of knowledge, I passed!! I am still in shock. I am not sure if it's because I passed or that I survived it. I must admit that I was fearful about taking the exam, because you really don't know what the committee will ask of you. I did my best and I am proud of myself for not allowing fear to completely overtake me.

Yesterday, I also turned 30 again-which has been amazing in itself. I have grown up so much over the past year, that I thought it would be beneficial to maintain the age in order to continue to grow. Locking my hair was a huge step. As a result, others around me have been encouraged to lock their hair as well. Even a guy at my church had brother locks put in at the beginning of the month.

Making the decision to lock it has been one of the best things I could have done for myself. I do want to thank all of you who have blogged your sisterlock journeys. It was because of you that really gave me the encouragement to step out there. When people ask me about my hair and they tell me that they are thinking about it, I encourage them to look up blogs of people who have locked their hair as well. You all have been an inspiration to me. I pray that we all can experience our freedom of expression at it's finest-simply by being who we are!

On one last note: In the words of my 4 year old cousin, "Bawok Obama won! He's my black Pwresident!" I am SO excited about 44th President of the United States, Barak Obama. May God keep Him and guide Him in his presidency and his family.

3 comments:

new2locs said...

Congratulations! You're on your way DR.!

Docs Locs said...

Congrat! An end is in sight.

LockedUp!! said...

Thanks! I am moving along, at turtle pace, but moving still!